Blog Post Date - May 7, 2020
Corona Virus continues to upend most aspects of our daily lives but we are in this together and we will endure. In that spirit, here are some updates from the League of Women Voters of Orange Coast (COAST) - there's work to be done and more will be coming!
- Coast has purchased a Zoom license and we are now scheduling Zoom meetings. Executive Committee has met by Zoom, the Board meets next week; Coast North Book Club will hold its first virtual meeting on Thursday, May 28th – check it out on our website at: https://my.lwv.org/california/orange-coast/event/coast-north-book-club-may-28-2020
- Our Annual Meeting was scheduled for May 20. On the advice of the League of Women Voters of California and the LWV US and in consultation with our Board and bylaws, we expect to be able to meet virtually sometime in June.
- We will provide a great deal of advance information and technical support which should make it possible for many members to attend and have meaningful participation.
- We need your participation!
- Please watch for email updates and for announcements on our website: lwvorangecoast.org
- The League of Women Voters of the United States will also be conducting a virtual Convention At this time it is not clear if there will be provision for anyone to "attend" except delegates but watch for new info.https://my.lwv.org/california/orange-coast/article/lwvus-convention-news
- League is organizing at national and state levels to support a free and fair election!
- The LWV of Virginia won their case to remove witness signature requirement from absentee ballots amid the coronavirus outbreak. https://wjla.com/news/local/judge-exempts-virginia-voters-witness-absentee-ballots-june-primary
- Oklahoma's Supreme Court ruled that voters do no longer have to get their absentee ballots notarized due to the current public health risk. https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/article/High-court-says-absentee-ballots-don-t-need-to-be-15246136.php
- Kansas's voter ID laws that required showing proof of citizenship for voter registration were ruled unconstitutional. https://www.hawaiitelegraph.com/news/264882560/kansas-voter-id-law-ruled-unconstitutional
- Stay Informed: Please watch for email updates and for announcements and calendar updates on our website: lwvorangecoast.org
We will get through this together.