HOMELESSNESS (1990 and 2007, 2012, 2013)
The League of Women Voters of Arlington supports:
1. An Arlington County goal of providing temporary shelter for everyone in
need. Cooperation with other jurisdictions in the region is
recommended. Programs for homelessness prevention, transitional
housing, housing for physically and mentally disabled, and substance
abuse treatment should be priorities for County funding.
2. County funding of aprogram to avert homelessness by keeping people
in their presenthousingwhilereceivinghomelessness prevention
services; amendment of the zoning ordinance to allow rooming and
boarding houses by use permit (SROs).
3. Expansion of the total numberof emergency she_lter beds ;creation of a
year- round shelter and establishment and expansion of transitional
4. Provision of adequate substance abuse treatment and detoxification
programs; the minimization of waiting time for admission to treatment.
5. Maintaining the consortium to prevent and end homelessness.